Algonquin Hotel, New Brunswick
The Algonquin Hotel in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, is quite an impressive sight. It reflects an early era of travel before air conditioning, when the wealthy would escape to this resort to relax and enjoy nature’s cooling breezes from Fundy Bay.
The Algonquin Hotel opened in June of 1889 in the seaside resort town of St. Andrews. The Canadian Pacific Railroad purchased it in 1903 to become part of its chain of hotels.
These days, visitors are enchanted by the 234-room hotel’s Tudor design and castle-like appearance.
The rail link to St. Andrews has long since disappeared but visitors still take the VIA Rail Ocean train from Montreal to Montcon, and then drive to St. Andrews to enjoy the seashore.
The Algonquin offers all the amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel, along with a beautiful 72-par golf course with an ocean backdrop of Fundy Bay.
Since 2012, the hotel has come under the ownership of New Castle Hotels and Resorts, who are currently remodeling it. The Algonquin is scheduled to reopen this year (2013) when rates will be advertised.
When it does reopen, it will become part of the Marriott chain’s Autograph Collection, a first of its kind in Canada.